Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Parlando Italiano

This week I started a new job.

It's through the same company that I was already working for, but it's at their other office. (The office that I didn't even know existed until recently.)

I looked into my new job on a whim, and ended up accepting it. It should be really good: I become a full time employee (with full benefits!) and I'll be speaking Italian daily, among other good things.

Since I'll be speaking Italian full-time, I work on a full-time (10 am - 5 pm) Italian schedule. Italians live 8 hours ahead of us, though, so my shift on Utah time is... 2 am - 9 am! So far, I'm partying like a rockstar most nights.

It's quite a change for me. I'd really never even considered working a graveyard position.

I train for a month, and then I'll be able to work from home. Fun. Buses do not run at 2 am, and Lavish doesn't want me walking to work, so she gets up every morning to drive me there. What a trooper.

A few interesting things have happened, so far.

1) The reason they hired me is that the Company is entering the Italian market. I am the solitary resource that Italians will have...starting mid-February. Until then, I get to listen to calls that British people make. It's fantastic. And they have catchy accents.

Take, for example, yesterday. From the living room, I could hear that Lavish was washing dishes. I wanted to let her know that she shouldn't wash the stuff that I'd just put in the sink, because I was about to wash it. I had to self-censor because the words that came to my mouth were: "Lavish, don't wash those! I'll wash them forthwith!" (Forthwith?! Who says that? British people.)

2) My days have become really disjointed. I'm supposed to be sleeping after work, from 9 am-ish until 6-ish pm. The problem is, those are hours when things are happening. I keep finding things to do, or things to want to do, after work. So what's been happening is: I get home at 9:30 am, or so. I go to sleep until 2 pm, or so. I get up and do things. Sometime in the evening I sleep more. I get up for work.

The only thing is, breaking my sleep into two pieces makes me feel like my days are going by differently. My days are not 24 hours long, they are 12 hours long. (Ex. I feel like I've been working for like, oh, 6 days, and that I'm not getting any thing done any day.)

3) Yesterday, before I left, the guy training me wanted me to speak with someone. He liked the way that I read our training book and thought that this other guy would be interested in possibly having me do some voice work. (Whaaat....?) I met with him, and today he had me read an 11 page tutorial inside a sound box thing. (The girl they have doing voice work so far has a voice that is a bit scratchy, and she has a Utah accent. I'm not from Utah, right? No, no.) I may become the tutorial voice for our company's website. The guy really liked how it came out, and suggested I look into doing voice work. Strange.

Anyhow, those are my work stories of late. I should blog again, soon. Cheerio!


L'Afro said...

You should become a famous sound-work person forthwith. I'm getting sick of the Sprint woman who tells me when I have messages. I'd rather have you on my phone.

Blogger said...

Just received my check for $500.

Sometimes people don't believe me when I tell them about how much money you can earn by taking paid surveys from home...

So I took a video of myself getting paid $500 for doing paid surveys to set the record straight once and for all.