Tuesday, August 26, 2008

What is your email address?

I just had an interesting call at work.

The man told me he wanted to upgrade his subscription from a trial to a membership that included more. Okay, I said, what was his email address

"bmheh 1945 AT ...dotcodotuk"

"What?" I asked.

"bevin1945 AT ...dotcodotuk"

"Sorry," I said, "I've got bevin1945 at .co.uk, but what comes before .co.uk?"

"NOW I'LL TELL IT TO YOU, AND YOU LISTEN! IT'S BEVIN. 1945. THE BIG A. DOT CO, DOT UK."

"Okay, there needs to be something before .co.uk, though. For some people it's btinternet, or sky, or aol. It's your service provider..."

"Mine's just at dot co dot uk!"

"Well, there needs to be something else between the at and dot co dot uk. Could it be..."

"I CAN'T MAKE ONE UP!"

He was really annoyed with me for not accepting that his email address was @.co.uk.

"Well, do you know if your username that you're using is bevin1945?" (A lot of times the system makes up a username from the beginning of the email address.)

"WHAT?!"

And then I found it.

The email address? Yahoo.

It reminds me of the time someone was mad because they were emailing us and we weren't replying.

"What email address did you write to," I asked.

"I sent it to www.yourcompany.co.uk"

...okay.

1 comment:

erin said...

This post is awesome.