Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Breakfast Adventure!

I have all kinds of weird stuff in my kitchen.

I used to live with Jess, and she had kitchen stuff. And then I had roommates, and they had kitchen stuff. So now that I have my own apartment, my kitchen is a little interesting.

Instead of having really basic kitchen stuff, I only have unusual [for student housing] stuff. For example, a couple days ago I bought a 9 x 13 pan because I didn't have one. But I did have a bundt pan and a spring form pan. Or, I don't have any pans for on the stove at all. But I do have a dutch oven. I don't have any wooden spoons, but I do have a candy thermometer and a rolling pin.
The thing I definitely miss/need the most is a frying pan. I have one pot that I inherited when Jess got married, and I use it for everything I make on the stove. Last week I made scrambled eggs with green pepper and cheese--in the pot. It was kind of awkward, but it tasted fine.

This morning I wanted to make french toast. And I thought about making french toast in my pot, but then I thought of something way more awesome.

I decided to try cooking french toast in my George Foreman grill. Why not?
I bought a small George Foreman grill when I moved into my apartment, because the fridge was way too dirty to use, and so were the stove and oven. I didn't have a microwave, and I didn't have time to deep clean everything, so I was having to eat out all the time. George changed my life. I started eating a lot of grilled chicken and veggies. It was good. My favorite thing to grill is fresh pineapple, with a little bit of marinade drizzled overtop. SO GOOD.
Anyway, I bought a microwave, cleaned my fridge, stove, and oven, and now I don't really use the grill as much.

It worked perfect for the french toast, though. I think I'll always use it. It's great because:
1. It cooks both sides at once.
2. It cooks it perfectly so that it isn't eggy or dry.
3. It leaves sweet grill marks on it, which makes breakfast seem like an adventure.

[NB: In the picture it looks like it's kind of discolored, but really it's just the lighting and the syrup.]

No comments: