Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Cool quote

I heard a neat quote last night at my Pistol Marksmanship class, which I thought was worth writing down (and apparently also worth sharing).

We were talking about how, I guess it used to be that you were supposed to aim at the center of the target when you shoot. Which makes sense, because that's what you want to hit. Except, when people (especially beginners) aim at something so tiny, it's hard to actually hit it. Because peoples' bodies naturally move a tiny bit, etc. So instead, they teach people to aim below the target. And then it's easier to focus on the front sight (instead of the target), because you can see it better, and you're not so distracted with trying to hit a tiny specific spot. And then you adjust the sight so that by aiming a little below the target, and then you're more likely to hit the center than if you're actually aiming at the center.

And the instructor mentioned a quote that he'd heard recently, which I thought was good. He didn't cite it though, and Google attributes it to "unknown" sooo, here you go:

"Don't let perfection get in the way of excellence."

Good stuff, huh?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're taking a Pistol Marksmanship class? That is cool! Where are you taking that class?

Emily said...

Yep. I'm taking it at the University of Utah.

Hasib said...

Hi admin,
your post "Cool quote" is very special for us.I think these quotes are very special for everyday life. I have collected many quotes from you, and I will come back soon. It's encourage to work everyday life.So thanks a lot for doing this job. http://www.quoteschart.com/cool-quotes/