Sunday, October 12, 2008

Canstruction at the library!

Something that I really do love about living downtown-ish, is that as an official resident of Salt Lake City (proper), The City Library is mine.

We have a gorgeous library, which I have coveted ever since I laid eyes upon it. One of my first acts as an official resident was to claim my library card. It's that amazing. People take engagement pictures there. It's just that kind of place.

Anyway, the other day, I had to do laundry again (stupid cats), and I decided I'd grab some reading material. And I found great stuff, but really the point of the story is, when I was going up in a glass elevator, I noticed that the atrium was featuring can art! Like I blogged about before!

So after I got my books, I went down to take a look.

The main sign said this:

September 29-October 17, 2008
Main Library Urban Room
Canstruction(R) is an international community service project of the design and construction industr; ten of Utah's architecture, engineering, and design firms will join in the competition.
The event combines the competitive spirit of a design/build contest with a unique way to help feed hungry people: competing teams from local firms showcase their talents by designing giant sculptures made entirely out of canned foods, which will be donated to Utah Food Bank Services after the competition. For more information, visit http://www.canstruction.org/

And here are some pictures. The ribbon is a hunger awareness ribbon or something; the poster for it was kind of lame and hard to read in the picture.






No comments: